Once you’ve finalized the booking, why not go above and beyond for your clients and recommend a few travel apps that could prove helpful during their vacation. There are countless apps available for the different operating systems (iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc.) and while some are free, others are available for a slight fee. And of course, some are more useful and reliable than others, so it’s always a good idea to look at ratings and reviews from those who’ve already tested particular apps.
There are a multitude of apps to help make your travel experience even better!
With apps available for everything from currency conversion and language translation to interactive museum and walking tours, and maps and schedules for various public transportation systems, traveling to and throughout unfamiliar destinations has never been easier. Curious? Google best travel apps and you’ll be amazed at the sheer number of options. Overwhelmed? Narrow your search to specific countries, regions, cities; even narrower searches like “Dining in Tuscany app,” “Museums of Rome app,” “Walking Tours London app,” will produce a variety of results to consider.
Here are just a few of our favorites. Take a look, try them yourself and share your favorites with clients.
- Rail Europe: Allows users to research train schedules between most stations in Europe, buy tickets (at many); even select a seat!
- SayHi: Accurate and easy to use language translation app
- Measures: Puts a unit and currency conversion tool at your fingertips. Users can easily see what a potential purchase costs in US dollars or what the temperature is in Fahrenheit.
- Museums Mobile – Contains information on thousands of the world’s largest museums and includes information on current and permanent collections. Using your phone’s GPS locator, it will even point you in the direction of museums in the area.
- Tripit: Allows users to store all the details of their travel for easy, chronological viewing. It’s the perfect place to keep flight confirmations, hotel and rental car vouchers, phone numbers, schedules, etc. It can even alert users if something in their plans change.
- Packing Pro – By simply plugging in where they’re going, for how long, and with who, this app will suggest what to pack in categories such as essentials (passport, currency), clothes, gadgets, and more. It can even suggest separate lists for traveling companions.
Clients planning to rent a car while on vacation should be aware of several important factors. Of course, for those traveling to Britain or Ireland, it’s important to be aware that driving is done on the left side of the road from the right side of the car. Furthermore, most rentals throughout Europe are for manual shift, economy size cars, however upgrades to automatic and full size are available. In fact, clients can upgrade to a variety of sizes from 4-seaters to mini-vans or full size vans that seat up to 9 passengers. Bear in mind that Europe’s roads and in particular, its parking spots, are best suited for smaller vehicles, so clients may face a few challenges when driving larger vehicles.
Perhaps most important is that your client understands the auto insurance policies. First, car insurance is not an option. While your clients might believe that they have complete coverage through their credit cards, this is often not the case internationally. We strongly recommend they contact their credit card company to determine what is and isn’t covered while traveling abroad. Furthermore, from a budget perspective, it’s less expensive to purchase insurance prior to departure because of the currency rates.
Sceptre Tours offers VIP CDW insurance to be booked prior to departure at a discounted rate; allowing complete walk away coverage, and strongly recommends purchasing at the time of booking.
For full list of legal declarations and insurance explanations for Sceptre Tours packages, click here.
Along with celebrating the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the longest running series of films and being the most successful of the James Bond series, SkyFall is now being credited with making Scotland one of the top tourist destinations for 2013.
Bond & M in Scotland
According to CNN Travel, the scenes showing Bond driving through the ruggedly beautiful Scottish countryside has piqued interest so much that Scotland has topped such exotic destinations as the capital of Morocco and Slovakia as well as sub-Saharan Africa which finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively. Rounding out the top 5 was Gettysburg (which is also benefiting from the cinematic boost provided by Spielberg’s Lincoln.)
For any interested in visiting Scotland, Sceptre Tours offers escorted packages to Scotland and will be introducing independent packages to Scotland as well.